The Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD) has issued a Level 1 Drought Response for 53 counties including White County. Level 1 Drought Response ask all commercial and residential water users to be conservative with water use, to be good stewards of our water resources. This should include:
- Regularly checking for and repairing of leaks inside and outside the home and/or place of business.
- While brushing teeth, shaving, washing face, etc. turn the tap off rather than leaving the water running.
- Only water your landscape when necessary, and make sure sprinklers are adjusted so only the lawn is watered (not the sidewalk, street, or side of house).
Outside watering should follow these guidelines:
- Irrigation of personal food gardens may be done at any time of the day.
- Irrigation of new and replanted plants, seeds, or turf may be done at any time of day for 30 days after installation.
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses may be done at any time of the day.
- Hand watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container may be done at any time of the day.
- All other general landscape watering may be done between 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. each day.
If you wish to know more ways to conserve water usage, go to http://epd.georgia.gov/water-conservation. The complete Rules for Drought Management are available at http://rules.sos.ga.gov/gac/391-3-30.